Monday, May 10, 2010

Louis Pons, Gleaning, and Agnes Varda


I want to make sure not to forget Louis Pons, a French artist who gleans from his everyday surroundings. He seems to have an eye for collecting every day cast offs and collaging them into these beautiful patterns of movement, activity, and some sort of storytelling. I love that his work isn’t haughty or layered in subtext. I love its straightforward, basic, and thoughtful expression.

From an interview with Louis Pons in “The Gleaners and I” by Agnes Martin:
Objects are my dictionary…useless things. People see it as clusters of junk. I see it as clusters of possibility. Each object is a line. It gives direction, picked up here and things there, indeed gleaned. I make a sentence of things whose shapes at first are very simple and seem the same but whose variations are infinite.

No comments: